Sunday, February 10, 2008

Strandhill Revisited

It might not be apparent from a lot of the pictures I've posted on here, but I much prefer black and white to colour photography. In the digital age, I often miss the rituals of enlargers, test strips, the tang of chemicals and standing in the darkroom's red gloom watching the image magically appear in the developer tray. So when I had the chance to spend half an hour in Strandhill yesterday I had it in mind to think in black & white; where texture, tone, patterns and form eank higher than colour, hue, saturation or light temperature.

Back in the darkroom, a lot of care and attention was dedicated to 'dodging and burning' highlights and shadows in prints by controlling the amount of light reaching the paper. This technique was particularly used to create interest and drama in skies. While there are digital equivalents, results can be mixed, and I have more experimenting to do before I find a method I'm happy with.

Here are a few -





The obligatory Ossie pic to finish -

1 comment:

Unknown said...

John.
These look great. A half hour well spend. Nothing wrong with your digital b/w work.
Tony.